On The Seventh Day Of Christmas...

Starting off the seven days of Christmas countdown with an album I actually never even expected to choose myself...

My seventh favourite album of the year is If You Leave by Daughter. Before listening to the album I'd read a review of it in NME Magazine, basically slating it saying "The tone is pretty uniform" and "Daughter ain't half as clever as they clearly think they are" then actually only giving it a 5/10 rating. As such I wasn't too excited to listen to the album at first if I'm honest. However, when I did get round to listening to it, I loved it. Throughout the album, I could see where NME were coming from with some of things that they said but it was right up my street.

Since listening to the album after it was released on the 18th of March, it has received a ridiculous amount of plays from me. Every single track on this album has a significant and vivid memory attached to it for me now. It's just an effortlessly enjoyable album - such a mellow and soft sound that is perfect to listen to when alone and calm. Elena Tonra's voice is just soothing in this album, some may call it depressing but she knows her voice well enough to give the album balance and to give the album a number of uplifting moments.

I was a fan of Daughter prior to this album and so had already heard songs like "Youth", "Smother" and "Still" but this didn't stop them from being some of my favourites on the record.  As a debut album this extremely well done. You can tell that a lot of time has been put into making this album because the songs mesh together perfectly. It's extremely tough for me to just choose one favourite from this album so I'll choose a few: "Winter", "Touch", "Human" and "Amsterdam". Even the b-sides to this record had major album potential! Seeing Daughter twice in summer also made me appreciate the album a lot more.

It is an album that you definitely have to be in the right mood or situation for but it's a great album nonetheless and one that I'll continue to overplay for a while yet. 

File:Ifyouleavedaughter.jpg 

To see what my seventh favourite album of 2012 was and what I thought of it, click here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment